TBJ83: Donna Parkes
TBJ83: Trombonist Donna Parkes of the Louisville Orchestra on having a “Yes!” attitude, sleeping bags and growing up in Australia
Donna Parkes, Principal Trombone with Louisville Orchestra joins Andrew & Lance to detail her amazing career, from Australia to Kentucky, with stops in Chicago, Alaska and Doha, Qatar.
In this fun and lively conversation, we cover:
- Playing Principal Trombone with Louisville Orchestra
- Playing with the Colorado Music Festival
- Coming from Indiana, I mean Canberra, Australia
- Coming to the U.S. after her undergrad to study with Charlie Vernon at DePaul
- The differences between the Australian and U.S. markets
- Studying with Michael Mulcahy early on in Australia
- Playing freelance gigs in Sydney for a year before moving
- Getting a lesson with Arnold Jacobs and Ed Kleinhammer
- Working with 80-year-olds in Virginia
- The size of Andrew’s tongue (don’t ask)
- Sleeping in her sleeping bag with her trombone in a hostel on her first night in the U.S.
- Taking pictures of snow
- Tips for flying to Australia
- Playing gigs in Sitka, Alaska twice a year
- How she recently got married in Australia
- A typical week in Louisville, which is anything but typical
- The importance of being flexible and being a good colleague
- Having a “Yes” attitude
- Playing in Doha, Qatar
- An important life lesson, “Don’t smell it first.”
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.