Jonathan Dorn has played tuba for everyone from Leon Redbone to The Philadelphia Orchestra and got to hang out with John Belushi in the 70s, 'nuff said. He shares incredible (and hilarious stories) from over 50 years in the business.
Some of the crazy things he shares in this interview:
- How he got started on the tuba as a kid and worked his way through the ranks in Philly
- What it was like taking lessons with the legendary Abe Torchinsky
- Playing 16 shows (16!) a week with Ringling Brothers Circus (think bleeding chops) and getting to work with legendary cornet player and bandleader Merle Evans
- How he learned changes on the fly
- Passing off his regular gig with Your Father's Mustache to the legendary Bob Stewart
- What it was like performing on Saturday Night Live four times with Leon Redbone and partying with John Belushi and Chevy Chase in the '70's
- And how he became a professional chef after 30 years of playing the tuba professionally!
The Brass Area of the Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh PA is our new partner (and Lance has been teaching euphonium there since 2000). If you are interested in learning more about the program, visit the site HERE!
Check out Parker Mouthpieces fine offerings (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models) by clicking PARKER!
You can help offset the costs of producing the show by making a small donation at https://www.patreon.com/thebrassjunkies. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Last but not least, we are now on Instagram! Follow us at instagram.com/pray4jens/ TODAY!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.