Amplituba and Mercury Orkestar tubist Bill Pritchard joins Andrew & Lance to discuss Bill's amazingly diverse career and his exploration into the ins and outs of combining electronics with brass playing. In addition to his amazing music-making, Bill teaches at five (5!) colleges, plays all over Atlanta with tons of groups and gives us a step by step tour of his electronic rig/setup.
Some of the topics we cover include:
- The challenges of giving Skype lessons
- His use of technology in lessons
- What to do if the chaps are at the cleaners (don't ask)
- The simplest setup to start messing with electronics (mic, cable, digital effects/multi-effects unit, into a keyboard or bass amp)
- Why delay and chorus effects are a good place to start
- How to get started with looping pedals
- How he sets up his musical improvs
- His influences, from Reggie Watts to Matt Owen and David Wolf from Drums & Tuba
- How David Vining and Jan Kagarice helping him overcome challenges
- Playing w/a drummer and a theremin at an Invent Room Pop gig and creating Amplituba
- Blow into the small end
- Mercury Orkestar
- Afro Klezmer
- Invent Room Pop FB Page
- Amplituba on CDBaby
- Bill's FB Page
- Meatless Holiday Roast!
- Miyoko Cheeses
- Nut rolls
CHECK OUT THE HOGTOWN BRASS HOLIDAY ALBUM!!!
Buy it HERE!
Stream it on Apple Music, Spotify or at the Hogtwon Brass website.
Want to help the show? Take a minute to leave us a rating and a review on iTunes.
The Brass Area of the Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh PA is our new partner (and Lance has been teaching euphonium there since 2000). If you are interested in learning more about the program, visit the site HERE!
Check out Parker Mouthpieces fine offerings (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models) by clicking PARKER!
You can help offset the costs of producing the show by making a small donation at https://www.patreon.com/thebrassjunkies. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Last but not least, we are now on Instagram! Follow us at instagram.com/pray4jens/ TODAY!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.