TBJ77: Deanna Swoboda
TBJ77: Tubist Deanna Swoboda on her gig at ASU, Brass Rap and the difference between entertainment and art
Deanna Swoboda has been a longtime friend and colleague to both Andrew & Lance and has had a great career as a performer, teacher and leader from her days with Dallas Brass to her current gig at Arizona State University.
In this episode, we cover:
- The value of studying music at the college level
- Her gig at ASU
- Her five years with the Dallas Brass
- The difference in approach between playing in the Dallas Brass and the Western Michigan University brass quintet
- Working with trumpeter Scott Thornburg
- The difference between entertainment and art
- Dan Perantoni “When the phone rings, are you ready?”
- Deanna’s Wonderland
- Brass Rap
- Band Blastoff!
- Tuba Tex How the West Was Fun (a project Lance participated in and forgot for 15 years. He's old.)
- Eastman tubas
- Eastman Company Tuba Euphonium Workshop in the summer of 2018
- Deanna's personal site
- ASU Tuba/Euphonium studio page
- ASU bio page
- Eastman Music Company Tuba Euphonium Workshop
- Deanna's Wonderland album
- Band Blast Off DVD
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.