TBJ80: Jennifer Montone
TBJ80: Philadelphia Orchestra Principal Horn Jennifer Montone on playing, meditating and telling your own story
Jennifer Montone has played with the Philadelphia Orchestra for 11 years. Prior to that, she spent time in the Dallas, St. Louis and New Jersey Symphonies and teaches at both Curtis and Juilliard.
In this fun and lively conversation, we cover:
- Playing at Tanglewood as a student in the Empire Brass Seminar
- Lance playing w/Jennifer in Philly (it had such a lasting impact on her)
- Dealing with pressure
- Meditation and yoga, the influence of “Soprano on Her Head,” the work of Noa Kageyama and Don Greene
- Concentrating energy from your Chi
- Headspace app, Hittleman yoga book, Mt. Fuji meditation, Jack Kornfield, Kripalu website, lava lamp meditation
- Playing while 7 1/2 months pregnant
- Re-evaluating her breath work, via Arnold Jacobs’ concepts and teachings
- The effect of posture on her approach
- Taking a positive approach to challenges in music and in life (and passing those concepts on to her students)
- Giving students permission to make musical decisions, then encouraging them to do so
- Being a female principal horn player, how things are changing and evolving
- How she wanted to be a nun up to the age of 14
- Developing leadership skills, being assertive and confident
- National Brass Ensemble
- Personal website
- Philly Orchestra bio page
- National Brass Ensemble Facebook Page
- Jeff Conner chicken foot video
Don't miss the South Central Regional Tuba-Euphonium Conference featuring SSG Chris Buckley, Tim Buzbee, Ben Pierce and Charles Villarubia March 15-17 at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, TX. Holy crap that's a lineup! Visit www.scrtec2018.weebly.com for more details!
Want to help the show? Here are some ways:
- Help others find the show by leaving a rating and review on iTunes.
- Show us some love on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Help us pay the bills (and get regular bonus episodes!) by becoming a Patreon patron.
- Show some love to our sponsors: The brass program at The Mary Pappert School of Music at Duquesne University and Parker Mouthpieces (including the Andrew Hitz and Lance LaDuke models.)
- Tell your friends!
Expertly produced by Will Houchin with love, care, and enthusiasm.