TEM142: Successfully launching a nationally acclaimed music institute before you can even legally drink: A conversation with Buddy Deshler
The story behind how Buddy Deshler successfully launched the Fredericksburg Brass Institute at the age of 20 and the lessons he's learned along the way.
What You'll Learn:
- The characteristics that led Buddy to not only have such big ideas but the followthrough to execute them as a 20-year-old
- Why Buddy built his team based on the people on the team rather than on the specific mission (since that mission can and will change)
- How the first iteration of FredBrass was a good idea but the wrong format and at the wrong time (and how they couldn't have figured that out until they tried and failed)
- How the benefits of being young and naive help with networking fearlessly
- How Buddy approached asking (and affording) big names for the first FredBrass when it obviously hadn't existed before
- The failed attempt at FredBrass expansion in 2016 and what they learned from it
- How Buddy developed his product, The Entrepreneurial Student, a presentation that he offers to universities and conservatories
- The difference between networking and relationship building
- Tidewater Brass
- TBJ7: Fredericksburg Brass Institute's Austin Boyer & Buddy Deshler
- TBJ13: Alan Baylock
- The Entrepreneurial Student
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Tribes by Seth Godin
- Buddy's Facebook Artist Page
- @bdeshlermusic on Instagram
- Featured TEM Blog Post: Nobody Starts On Top
1. Help me get to my goal of $75 per episode on Patreon (only $11 to go!) by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. My next iTunes goal is 100 ratings and 75 reviews. Take just a minute to leave a rating and review on iTunes to help me get there. Thank you!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at: