TEM 105: Corey Brown of No Treble on Working with Seth Godin, Having the Courage to Reach Out to People You Want to Meet and Launching the World's Top Online Bass Magazine
Corey Brown is the founder of the online bass magazine, No Treble, and worked with Seth Godin to build Squidoo, one of the most visited websites in the history of the internet.
What You'll Learn:
- How Corey fell in love with music and ended up majoring in music at North Texas
- How not thriving within the formal structure of college pushed him towards one of his other loves, graphic design
- How he ended up working with Seth Godin to run Squidoo, one of the most frequently visited websites in the world, when they didn't know each other beforehand
- The importance of architecting a website when building it so you have a clear idea of how it is all going to function together
- How he launched No Treble so he would have something waiting for him whenever his run at Squidoo ended
- Why he worried entirely about content and traffic and not about monetization (and the parallels there with launching a podcast)
- How he's monetized No Treble after the fact
- How every time they hit a traffic benchmark at Squidoo Seth Godin challenged them to add a zero as their next goal
- How he came to be in charge of the official Jaco Pastorius website (and why when given the chance to connect with someone you should just reach out)
TEM 13: Alan Baylock
TEM 55: 10x Faster Than You Think (TEM Short)
TEM 73: Jessica Meyer
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin
Unleashing the Ideavirus by Seth Godin
Purple Cow by Seth Godin
Tribes by Seth Godin
Six Pixels of Separation Podcast
The Starfish and the Spider by Ori Brafman
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at:
Don't miss the debut of the TEM Newsletter! Sign up to receive a free copy of 7 Things I Learned from the First 100 Episodes of TEM.
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. Help me get to my goal of 50 ratings at iTunes (I'm really close!) by leaving a rating and review.
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Joey Santillo for Pedal Note Media