TEM126: Cathy Heller of the Don't Keep Your Day Job Podcast on Getting a Major Record Deal Yet Still Failing...Persevering Until You Close the Gap
TEM126: Cathy Heller of the Don't Keep Your Day Job Podcast on Getting a Major Record Deal Yet Still Failing, Being Analytical About Your Approach to the Music Business and Persevering Until You Close the Gap
Cathy Heller is a hugely successful singer-songwriter, the owner of Catch the Moon Music and the mother of three children under the age of six (!) living in LA.
What You'll Learn:
- How getting two different major record deals in LA still didn’t lead to any commercial success for Cathy
- How cycling through “real” jobs for two years helped her realize that she had to be true to herself and make music for a living
- The very thorough research method she used to get her songs successfully placed on television and film
- The various things she offers today including her own agency, an online course and a podcast “Don’t Keep Your Day Job” which is all about reverse-engineering your dream job (which led to a book deal with a major publisher)
- Why intentionally writing for commercial success is not selling out
- How the key to commercial success in business is making something that someone else wants
- Why self-perception is such a powerful thing and can easily derail even the most successful person
- How ever though a stadium full of people listen to each episode of her podcast, she really is only talking to one person at a time
- A songwriting exercise she does to help get ideas out (which is applicable to anyone doing anything)
- The importance of sticking with something until you can close “the gap”
- The Access Program
- Catch the Moon Music
- Ira Glass - The Gap
- Zync Music
- TEM on Instagram
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at: http://www.andrewhitz.com/shownotes
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to my goal of 50 ratings on iTunes! I appreciate it very much!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz