TEM139: Why You Should Almost Always Run from Traditional Record Deals - A Conversation with Ryan Kairalla
Entertainment lawyer Ryan Kairalla explains why it is the most exciting time in history to be a creator of anything and offers some actionable legal advice that all artists need to hear!
What You'll Learn:
- Some of the myths about copyright law
- Why Ryan’s best clients are the ones who ask a lot of questions (and why you can’t ever truly outsource the legal stuff)
- What inspired him to write his book, Break the Business
- Why signing a record deal is frequently a really bad idea
- The evil that is a '360 Deal'
- Why the ability to be quick and nimble in a business sense is the true advantage of being an independent artist
- Why Ryan advocates for building your own music empire
- LLC’s: Should you form one and why or why not?
- How to find the right lawyer for you
- When you should and shouldn’t form a nonprofit
- Break the Business Podcast Episode 129 featuring Andrew Hitz
- Working Musician Podcast Episode 52 featuring Andrew Hitz
- Ari’s Take
- Ari’s Blog Post on Distribution for Indy Artists
- How to Make It in the New Music Business by Ari Herstand
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed and links to all books and websites referenced can be found at:
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon (only $6 to go!) by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. My next iTunes goal is 100 ratings and 75 reviews. Take just a minute to leave a rating and review on iTunes to help me get there. Thank you!
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Andrew Hitz